RESULTS: NWSAFA Division 1 & 2 (June 22nd)

There was just one call-off in the fifth week of league fixtures as Lochinver scratched to Tain Thistle. An otherwise full card took place.

Golspie Sutherland 3 Helmsdale United 2

A fiercely contested match went the way of Golspie Stafford as they looked to keep the pressure up on league leaders Tain Thistle. Gary Pullen gave Golspie the lead after 17 minutes before a leveller from Paul Gordon ten minutes before the break had both sides even for half time. Helmsdale completed the turnaround with a goal through Bobby Gunn on 51 minutes, but Stafford were not to be beaten as they equalised through Cammy Sutherland – and the same player popped up to snatch victory for the home side.

Melvich 1 Brora Wanderers 7

The Wandies continued their high scoring form with a 7-1 win away to Melvich. Scott Miller opened the scoring in the first minute before John Griffiths double their lead a few minutes later. On the ten minute mark, Melvich were able to pull a goal back – but that was to be their only fight back as Mike Maclean made it 3-1 six minutes before the interval. The second half belonged to Scott Miller as he scored a hat-trick to complete the rout with a goal from Robbie Allan added into the total.

Inver 6 Kinlochverbie 2

It all went wrong for KLB in Inver as they were soundly beaten by the Division 2 new boys. A Ben Brown header gave the home side the lead before Liam Flett equalised for the visitors. Brown was able to net at the second time of asking at the far post to make it 2-1 on the half hour mark and the scores remained the same at the break. A second half rout for Inver saw them run out comfortable winners with goals from Jordan Hailes, Joel Burnett and manager Paul Connelly, who glided past the KLB defence to chest home. A late consolation for KLB came through Dylan Morrison who scored with an impressive long range strike.

Lairg Rovers 6 Tongue United 1

Rovers continued their unbeaten league run with a thumping win at Ferrycroft Park over visiting Tongue United. Louis Webster opened the scoring for Rovers before a Ryan Newlands double made it 3-0. Tongue reduced the deficit by a goal through Stuart Macleod before half time. It took Rovers until the 72nd minute to add to their tally when Taylor Sutherland scored to make it 4-1. Late goals from Miller Mackay and Adam Mackay completed the scoring.

Invergordon SC 1 Embo 1

A closely fought encounter at the Recreation Grounds in Invergordon ended in a stale mate between the home side and the ten men of Embo. The visitors took a 1-0 lead in to the interval having scored through Stuart Murray. The game was all square when Paul Sangwin grabbed a goal for Invergordon on the hour mark. Embo were dealt a blow soon after when Del Walsh was sent off, but with no further goals the game ended in a draw.

Leave a Reply