RESULTS: NWSAFA Division 1 & 2 (June 1st)

The third round of fixtures were played in Division 1 and 2 of the North West Sutherland Amateur League last weekend, and with another game (Lochinver v Melvich) as a casualty to numbers issues and the Invergordon v Inver match played on Wednesday, just four games took place on Saturday.

Brora Wanderers 3 Helmsdale United 6

A nine goal battle finished up with another three points for Helmsdale United as the Division 1 title race was cut wide open yet again. A tit for tat first half saw both sides exchange goals. John Griffiths opened for Brora after ten minutes before Helmsdale quickly replied through Stewart Atkins and just three minutes later Billy Cairns had put them in the lead. A Griffiths header made it 2-2 before the break. The second half belonged to United as they went on a rout from the get go. Billy Cairns put his side back in the lead on 48 minutes and within ten minutes they were 5-2 up through Paul Gordon and Cairns, the latter grabbing his hat-trick. An own goal at the other temporarily reduced the deficit before Gordon grabbed his second to make it 6-3.

Golspie Stafford 1 Tain Thistle 4

All the action took place in the first half at Stafford Park, as a late rout before the interval put Thistle out of sight – despite Golspie having taken the lead. The home side had gone ahead after 20 minutes when Mark Mackenzie worked his way through the Tain defence before finding the bottom corner with a brilliant strike. It took until the 38th minute for Tain to get back in the game though and the goal came from Liam Rostock who levelled with a cute chip over the Golspie stopper. Finn As-Chainey was next to score, giving Tain the lead with a finish from close range. A Darran Goller double put Thistle on easy street for a quieter second half. They weren’t without their problems, however, as goalkeeper Steven Martin found himself dismissed for an off the ball incident.

Tongue United 3 Embo 4

A back and forth match between two Division 2 sides chasing their first win of the season went Embo’s way in the end. Goals from Cameron Charlton and Logan Young gave Tongue a 2-0 advantage against their visitors but it was only a matter of time before Embo had levelled the affair when David Purvis turned in at the back post and Ross Davidson hit a free kick to cancel out United’s lead. Embo struck twice again to take a 4-2 lead and almost put the game beyond Tongue with a double from David Bell. A late consolation for Tongue through Marc Keith was all that could be mustered in reply, however.

Kinlochbervie 0 Lairg Rovers 3

Lairg continued their 100% record in the NWSAFA for 2019 with a convincing win over Kinlochbervie in Scourie. Craig Ross opened the scoring with a shot from the edge of the box after making a bursting run forward. Louis Webster doubled Rovers advantage with a composed finish inside the box and it was left to Korbyn Cameron to wrap up the win with the final touch on a goalmouth scramble.

Leave a Reply