RESULTS: NWSAFA Division 1 (May 25th)

The second weekend of fixtures in Division 1 of the NWSAFA league took place yesterday. An eight goal thriller at Lochinver ensured that no team would continue on with a 100% record in the division, as both Brora and Helmsdale also picked up their first wins of the campaign.

Melvich 3 Helmsdale United 4

Helmsdale United recorded their first league win of the season with a 4-3 victory away to Melvich. The home side took the lead early on through James Murray with a top corner finish but United soon replied with a goal from Kevin Cairns who slotted into the bottom corner after beating the defence. It was 2-1 to Helmsdale when Paul Gordon pounced on a rebounded effort after the keeper had failed to hold an effort from Jonah Martens. Melvich were undettered though and getting on the end of a Connor Macintosh cross, Ross Mackay slid the ball into the net to make it 2-2 before the interval. Macintosh turned scorer in the second half and gave his side the lead with a shot that took a deflection. Helmsdale’s resilience shone through though as Kevin Cairns levelled with a deflected shot of his own. Almost immediately after the equaliser, Jonah Martens fired his side into a lead that would see them claim all three points, after breaking down the left side and slotting home at the near post.

Paul Gordon’s goal turned the game in Helmsdale’s favour at Melvich

Tain Thistle 0 Brora Wanderers 1

Visitors Brora Wanderers needed just a single strike to humble champions Tain Thistle at the Links. A first half goal from Jon Campbell, who pounced on a short clearance from the goalkeeper before lobbing the Tain custodian from 30 yards, was all that separated the sides at half time. It could have been 2-0 but a second half penalty for Wanderers was saved well by Will Macrae, and at the other end a foul on the Brora goalkeeper denied Tain their only netbound effort. In the latter stages, the home side were unlucky not to score with a Finn As-Chainey shot that deflected onto the crossbar as the signs were that it was not going to be their day. Thistle’s push for an equaliser was against a Brora side who were defending resolutely, and against Tain’s best efforts the Wanderers held on to claim an impressive away win.

Brora midfielder Jon Campbell’s first half goal was enough for the Wanderers.

Lochinver 4 Golspie Stafford 4

It was honours even at Culag Park between Lochinver and Golspie Stafford as both sides exchanged four goals in heavy conditions. The home side had the advantage at half time taking in a 2-1 lead through Stuart Mackay, who had cancelled out a Liam Sutherland opener with a 25 yard strike which flew into the roof of the net. Mackay doubled Lochinver’s account before the break with a neat finish after good passing play. Following the restart, Eoghann Davie equalised for Stafford with a well taken free kick. Golspie’s pressure continued and before long they took the lead, Shaun Urquhart finishing from the edge of the box on the end of a Gary Pullen cut back. From a corner, Joe Macnamara connected with a left foot strike to put Stafford 4-2 up – but the two goal advantage was short lived as Ken Morrison pulled one back for Lochinver. The final and the leveller for the home side came from a Jake Lockett corner as Stuart Mackay nodded home for his hat-trick to split the points.

Leave a Reply