RESULTS: Stafford Cup Semi Finals (4th May)

In the only matches of the weekend, Golspie Stafford and Lairg Rovers emerged victorious in today’s Stafford Cup semi-finals.

Brora Wanderers 0 Lairg Rovers 3

The spirit of this semi final was on full display as a good crowd turned out at School Park to witness a well contested first half between Brora and Lairg. There wasn’t much in the way of goalmouth action at either end in the first period, but neither side were taking any prisoners as the tackles rained in. The tempo eventually took its toll as the visitors were dealt a first half blow on 34 minutes when they were reduced to ten men — Liam Mcleod being issued with a straight red card for a challenge from behind on Jon Campbell. Brora also hit a setback moments before the interval when Garry MacLeod was forced to withdraw with a suspected dislocated shoulder.

The second half belonged to Lairg though, as they eventually opened the scoring through Ryan Newlands who broke clear and finished well. It wasn’t all plain sailing for the visitors though as a further red card, shown to Adam Mackay, forced them to see out the remainder of the game with nine men. The player deficit didn’t affect the outcome though as a penalty converted by James Ross made it 2-0 with twenty minutes remaining, before a second spot kick award rounded off the win for Rovers, Craig Ross doing the honours from twelve yards.

Golspie Stafford 4 Helmsdale United 0

A confident performance saw the Cup holders Golspie sweep aside visitors Helmsdale United with two goals either side of the half-time break at Stafford Park. A ball across the box from Gary Mckenzie was tapped into the net by the in-form marksman Eoghann Davie, netting his seventh goal in the competition. Golspie were able to double their advantage in the first half thanks to Liam Sutherland who took the ball around the keeper before slotting home.

Stafford didn’t allow the performance levels and ten minutes into the second half they made it 3-0. Another through ball from Gary Mckenzie found its way into the path of Shaun Urquhart who placed the ball beyond Cameron Yuill to all but put the game to bed. To round things off, a ball from Cameron Sutherland into Urquhart ultimately set up Eoghann Davie to net his second of the game, slotting past the keeper from the edge of the box.

Shaun Urquhart’s goal early in the second half all but wrapped up the win for Golspie.

Today’s results set up a Stafford Cup Final meeting which at present is scheduled to be played on Saturday June 29th at Stafford Park in Golspie, however this will be dependent on Lairg Rovers’ continued Highland Amateur Cup involvement.

Leave a Reply